Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Recent enjoyment

There are a few things that I have been enjoying, that I thought I would share.

Books: I recently finished "The Rescue Artist" by Edward Dolnick. A true story about art, thieves and the hunt for the missing masterpiece. Mainly about Edvard Munch's 'The Scream".
The link for this book is in a previous post.

I am currently reading "Guns Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. Very interesting book regarding how the human species developed as it did. It is the author's contention that certain races of people were able to advance as a society not due to biological differences but rather due to environmental differenences...which is a theory I tend to agree with. I have read other's reviews of the book and some mention a few flaws in the book. The author gives a convincing arguement that some environments lend themselves more toward farming rather than hunter-gathering and those people who transitioned through to the domestication of plants and animals basically changed life for all of us. Interesting read so far, I am about 6/8ths of the way through it.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393317552/103-7080837-3336666?v=glance

By the way, bear with me while I figure out how to get these links right. I haven't figured this all out yet.

Oh and here is a couple of web pages I have enjoyed lately...

http://www.roadandtravel.com/adventuretravel/blimp.htm The Horror of Blimps. This short story made me laugh so hard I was crying. I am not kidding one bit. This is good.

http://www.therawker.com/ The Rawker. This has brought out a few giggles as well.

I have also been checking out a lot of travel websites as we are thinking about taking the train to Berlin this coming weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Amy this whole site is wonderful...however after me reading the story of the helium blimp I am truly rolling..what a funny story to share I actually have already shared it with others myself ...An let me tell you I laughed so hard I cried HAHA...Keep up the awesome work on the site this was great...Thank you for sharing!!!

12 September, 2005 21:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home