Monday, February 20, 2006

Last winter weekend in Garmisch!

Well, this weekend was our last winter trip to go skiing. The guys went skiing and had a lot of fun. No injuries! I can't wait until next year when me and Ann-Marie can learn! And maybe Stephanie can come and learn with me too.

We stayed in Oberau, very near Garmisch. It was a new experience for us, staying in a Gastehaus. You can see the photos. It was very neat and different than a hotel. We went for a hike as a group and then later Ann-Marie and I went for a long hike, in which I pulled her sled along an ice and snow covered trail. We went sledding down the hill too but it was so busy that we couldn't have as much fun doing that this time. We also went swimming and enjoyed an outdoor hot tub and the saunas the the Army lodge Edelweiss, while waiting for the guys to get done skiing.

We had a lovely dinner at an Italian restaurant. Of course, you know, whereever we go there could be a big language barrier. This was no exception. We didn't really have any problem with the menu (pizza and spaghetti are still pizza and spaghetti). Our waiter, was one who tried to entertain Ann-Marie a little by doing amatuer magic tricks and such. Later, after an hour and a half or so and a glass of wine, I asked him "Do you ski?" And he said, "I snowboard" So then I joked (since the Olympics are right now in his supposed home country of Italy) that he could go to Turino, to the Olympics. And he kept thinking that I thought his name was Turino. He didn't understand at all, every time I tried to explain it, he didn't get it. He kept telling us his name was Sebastiou, not Turino. Anyway, it was interesting conversation.

On the way there we ran into so much traffic! You wouldn't believe the amount of cars with license plates from the Netherlands and from France, from Czech Republic and from Poland...even some from Denmark. I mean, it was amazing to us, we've never seen it. Then we figured it out....they were travelers on their way to the Olympics!!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this blog! Keep up the good work!

20 February, 2006 18:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the olmpics this year. I thought you you every time I watched.

23 March, 2006 07:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home